Sunday, July 28, 2013

What do we give for?

Pride.

It comes in many forms.

But lately it's been on my heart to talk about pride in the form of...boasting.

You know we've all done it.

It starts in our children.
I've already had this conversation many times with my very own brood.
"Mom, he just sat and played, but I *drawn out to make sure I was aware who was the bigger person in this situation* just cleaned up my room, and...and I made my bed without being asked!"

"That's great, thanks so much...now why did you do that?"

*Insert blank stare here*
(because clearly it was for either the glory of being the top dog for the day, or candy...most likely both)


"You know that when we do something kind, that's great but...we're not supposed to be doing it for a recognition. 
That takes the sincerity out of it"
*then I have to explain what sincerity & recognition mean*


But what about when we're "all grown up"?

Don't we STILL desire that
source
Or how about?
source

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes these gestures are comforting...encouraging. Like when you've been working hard at eating right, or exercising or overcoming a hurdle in your life. In these times or times like it, everyone could use some friendly encouragement.


But how about those times, when we're led very strongly by the Holy Spirit to help those in need?
 To talk to a friend who's struggling? Sponsor an orphan? 
 Send off a Christmas present to needy children?
  Give money to a struggling family?

In those times, I've found when I tell others about it...
it takes the joy away.

I suddenly feel insincere.
 And listen I'm not saying this is true for all, but it's true for me.

I remember when I was 9 years old at a private school I went to, during the morning assembly the pastor came up and spoke about giving for the right reasons, that when we're giving because we've been led to...nobody but Him needs to know.
 That in itself is a beautiful gift, and I'm telling you it has stuck with me since!


And I've been frustrated this week because I could not remember the verse that goes along with this sentiment for the life of me. Until this morning when the guest speaker at our church brought it into his sermon:



“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

Matthew 6:1 


Let's be on fire for Christ my friends, TOTALLY!
Not for our name to be glorified
 but for His Name alone.


lowercase letters

No comments:

Post a Comment