Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Grace Case

Grace


1. courteous goodwill.
2. a divinely given talent or blessing.


 In the list of words we use often in our home, it's up there with "respect", "kindness" and "gratitude".


And because I can't go a whole day without rhyming, like "put some gratitude in that attitude", we say  "have a case of grace"...though I do end up adding "yo" to the end of that, because I'm so gangsta. 

There's so many beautiful verses regarding grace:

  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 

  But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it

Ephesians 4:7



And most of the time,I truly feel like I  can give grace pretty easily. 

When someone is late to a get together?

Grace. Easy!

When the kids are having attitudes that are.... LESS than stellar.


Grace. A little more effort, but still...done!
 

When that person makes their backhanded compliments about your appearance
 or abilities in life.

Grace. With deep breathing and a momentary clenched fist, and yeah ok sometimes an eye roll.
But still ...I can do that!



How about having grace with ourselves?

When we sputter out an awkward declaration or observation and immediately realize how rude it could have sounded?

Do you have grace with yourself? Or do you ponder over that encounter for the next week, hoping that person doesn't think you're a total jerk?


Me? Jerk face pondering.


Or when our house isn't as clean as "we" think it should be?

Grace or Hermit mode?

Me...it used to  be grace, but has crept into hermit mode.


When we feel like we are FAILING...EPICALLY failing to do what we feel we should with:


Housecleaning. Cooking. Parenting. Friendships. Faith. Teaching. Homeschooling. Time Management


But...but...our CAPES!

 What about our "Superwoman-I can do ANYTHING, just give me five minutes and Pinterest and I'll get it done" capes?! 


I don't know about you....but my cape, is torn, stained, and some days downright threadbare. 

So, as I'm writing this and most definitely possibly crying and feeling worn out, and ready to throw my cape in a fire and buy a leotard, but then I remember how unflattering leotards are, I want to send this message to you all. 

You mama's, sister's, friends....who feel like I do regularly lately....



Have a case of GRACE, for your friends, your families...


for YOURSELF.

Let's not be weakened by self-doubt, feeling inferior, guilt or shame.

We can keep those capes, and pull them out on the occasions that we need to, but let's also pull out the pillows and blankets and rest our bodies and rest our weary heart's when we need to.



 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Hebrews 4:16
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment